Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Final Turn of the 7-1 Horse Race


There are a handful of items for which I hold a true sense of passion and zeal. Finding a way into my life, my daily practice, and my core values, these entities have withstood my temperaments and states (sometimes altered) of reality. It would not surprise many to see teaching rank high on such a list (a homage to the recently completed and submitted Top 10 Lists for Chapter 12). I suppose that ideas and "L"iterature would also take their rightful places on such a mythic arrangement. Clint Eastwood films and their mythology, as well as John Coltrane music, and, of course, the themes behind "The Matrix" would be present on this collection of "my favorite things."
Horse racing would also occupy a prominent slot on such a playlist of identity. One of the "rites of spring" for me is the elusive pursuit of racing's Triple Crown. From the first Saturday in May, amidst the mint juleps and the twin spires of Churchill Downs to the Black Eyed Susans and the wistful melody of "Maryland, My Maryland" to the day in June when New York becomes the center of the universe, I mean, the horse racing universe, I am enthusiastic about horse racing. The history of thoroughbred competition has also been a topic of fascination. From the majestic and dominance of Secretariat, to the Kenyon College tinged narrative of Seabiscuit, from the fabled lore of Man-O- War, to the great battles between Affirmed and Alydar, to the tantalizingly close accomplishment of Real Quiet, to the pain of Eight Belles and Barbaro, I have a deep affinity for horseracing. I think that I am able to draw upon the horseracing dialectic to see deep running paralells to my own life and practice.
I had been paying attention to Rachel Alexandra. Her performance two weeks ago at the Oaks was stellar, almost Secretariat- like. I loved the call: "What is it? About 20 lengths?!?" I was aware of the drama between jockey and owner, and how some form of showdown with history emerged: The first filly in over half a century trying to win the Preakness, the first horse to try to win it from the outside post, the horse that stood in between Mine That Bird and his phenomenal finish in the Derby. I knew it all. Yet, I also knew that she was special, and this was confirmed in the first ten seconds of the race, when she took the lead and never relinquished her dominant performance to anyone. She was tremendous and I believe that she is very special.
Rachel Alexandra's performance on Saturday reminded me of some of our 7-1 emerging scholars. They entered this year and, in particular, in this classroom, with a great deal of weight on their shoulders. They entered with their own sense of "a showdown with history"... literally! The time they have spent with me has been one immense conflict, and one that is reaching its final turn. Many of our students have run, like Rachel Alexandra, with dominance and strength, but as jockey Calvin Borel noted, "The more I asked of her, the more she struggled." Indeed, I can relate in terms of teaching our emerging students, your children: The more I have asked of them, the more they have struggled, but the sweeter the triumph that has emerged.
Now, we are in the final turn. Students are either fighting through the pursuit of 75 outcome sentences or a DBQ on the Mexican- American war. I do hope that students can continue to keep fighting through, and like Rachel Alexandra, close out their races of dominance with a victory.

Here they come around the final turn... We await the outcome!
All best and happy running,
Mr. Kannan

1 comment:

Melanie Dykstra said...

Mr. Kannan, I very much enjoyed your comments about horseracing. I am also interested in Thoroughbred horseracing. Laura Hillenbrand's book on Seabiscuit is one of my all-time favorite books. Each year I hope for a Triple Crown winner - so I was plugging for Mine That Bird in the Preakness, though Rachel Alexandra ran a beautiful race. Who will win the Belmont Stakes? Melanie

About Me

My photo
For more detailed information on the class, please check the pdf/ Microsoft word links that are made available at the top left frame of this blog. Email contact: akannan@op97.org or D97 Voice Mail:(708) 524- 5830, x 8130 Grades are updated each weekend.