Saturday, September 29, 2007

Navigating through the Matrix… of 7-1 Social Studies



This week will be one where students will focus their study on either individually reading or collaboratively presenting on steps towards the American Revolution. The metaphor of midnight has not been formally introduced to the students, as of yet. I believe that it will reveal itself to students in the course of the next week to ten days. After we hear Scholarly Sparknotes presentations or after students pour through chapter 5, sections 2 or 3, I believe that the image will hold more meaning to their analysis of this portion of American History.
The other central image that will accompany that of midnight will be that of inevitability. In more specific terms, we will be arguing that the breakup between the colonists and their English brethren was inevitable. This idea of something that was meant to happen will unfold to students in more than one way. The work is going to become progressively more challenging, with more at stake. This is inevitable. The ideas that students will confront will become more taxing on the mind and force the issue of reflection upon the laps of students. This is inevitable. The class will begin to move towards a labyrinth of ideas, where confusion and misunderstanding are often present, requiring a mature sense of analysis and supporting detail. This, too, is inevitable. The writing tasks will become more divergent. Alas, this also is inevitable. It seems that if there was a proverbial “honeymoon” period, it has moved into the past. We are now entering a configuration where strong students must rise to the occasion and focus must be demonstrated. When we analyze the American Revolution, or the steps to precede it, I have always looked at this content as the last portal before the unsafe and challenging waters of the intellectual ocean confront us. The safe harbor of docking is beginning to pass, and in its place is a setting where internal strength and intellectual commitment are the only compasses.
I have always been a fan of the Matrix trilogy. I believe that much of what is present in these films and ideas can be applied to students who have to endure my class. Consider for a moment: The students in the class would be “the one,” or the multiple representations of Neo. Their mission is to “be the one.” They must weave their way through the workings of the Matrix, which is everywhere and all around them. Such a description would aptly fit their Social Studies classes. The matrix is meant to challenge and demand growth out of “the one,” whose central purpose is to confront and triumph over a mighty adversary. As I examine where our students are, I can begin to see some of them become acutely aware of what lies in front of them. I can see that some of them are beginning to take those risks and chances that are so closely associated with being “the one.” I can observe how students are starting to shed fear and insecurity, for they are beginning to see themselves as a representation of “Neo” and embrace that which they know is their destiny. I suppose that my role in this narrative could be multi- faceted. At moments, I would serve as a Morpheus- like figure, while at other times, I could see myself as an Oracle (For I, too, love candy and cookies.) At other moments, I am an Agent Smith, and at others, the architect who designed the Matrix. The one critical difference is that at every step of the way, I stress student freedom. There must be a certain maturation of choice and decision making ability intrinsic to the function of the one. As I am studying American History with these students, your children, my prospective scholars, I am also studying them, to see if they are ready, willing, and able to become “the one.” As the oracle says, “I do not know, but I do believe.” I certainly can say that I believe. We have endured our first set of progress reports, our first set of exam revisions, our first really difficult multiple choice assessment, our first in- class presentation, and our first moment of teaching one another. I believe in what I see. It took time for Thomas Anderson, Neo, to accept his purpose and function as “the one.” It will take some time for some of our Neos to do the same. Yet, as the Matrix grows in strength and difficulty, the time for our Neos is at hand. They must become “the ones.”
In terms of other Social Studies events, Progress Reports in Social Studies were sent home on Friday, 9/28. All signed progress reports are due back to Mr. Kannan by Tuesday, October 2. Additionally, Progress Reports in all classes will be sent home on Friday, October 12. Students will be notified as to how these will be returned. In addition to this, please be vigilant for conference confirmations that will be sent home by your child’s conferencing teacher soon. These student- led, portfolio based Conferences take place on the week of October 15. As always, if I can provide any further assistance or clarification, please do not hesitate to email me, post a response to this blog, or contact me at either school or at home.
All best and happy hunting.
Mr. Kannan

No comments:

About Me

My photo
For more detailed information on the class, please check the pdf/ Microsoft word links that are made available at the top left frame of this blog. Email contact: akannan@op97.org or D97 Voice Mail:(708) 524- 5830, x 8130 Grades are updated each weekend.